Botetourt Resource Center
PO Box 153
Buchanan, VA 24066
A short video: Celebrating 12 years of the Botetourt Resource Center
Accomplishments of the Botetourt Resource Center July 1, 2011-June 30, 2012
1. Awarded $25,000 from the Foundation For Roanoke Valley (FFRV) Senior Belonging Initiative Grant to:
- Continue employment of a 15 hr/week Administrative Assistant
- Continue existing and expand senior programs (Senior home repairs, senior basic needs purchases, senior crisis assistance, senior prescription assistance, once-a-month senior parties, etc.)
2. Second year for the only nonprofit and county-wide crisis fund in Botetourt County called the Botetourt Resource Center Interfaith Crisis Fund under the nonprofit status of Mill Creek Baptist Church and in partnership with 20+ churches. Funds spent this fiscal year = $2,853 on helping 30 households with fuel assistance
3. Senior Prescription Assistance Program - funded by the FFRV Senior Belonging Initiative Grant $1,391.00 spent on helping 25 seniors multiple times with ongoing copayments
4. Free wood distributed to 9 homes (6 seniors) through the winter in partnership with and by Mill Creek Baptist Church volunteers. Food Pantry in partnership with Springwood Baptist Church, Lawerence Transportation, Dollar General Market, Southern States, & St. Mark’s United Methodist Church in Daleville
5. BRC facilitated $2,900.00+in-kind legal services, dental services, and home repair to help senior citizens
6. Coordinated Christmas gift adoptions for 36 children and 4 seniors = $4,000+ (partnership with Advance Auto, Mill Creek Baptist, Wheatland Lutheran, Lithia Baptist, & Springwood Baptist Church and Dollar General Market)
7. Monthly Senior Parties in Buchanan and Eagle Rock = 16 parties with a total attendance of 146 seniors (FFRV grant funded) Weekly Bingo on Thursday throughout the year with 350+ seniors
8. Repairs to 4 Senior Homes with BRC staff and in partnership with Rebuilding Together or Roanoke Utilizing funds from the FFRV Senior Belonging Grant and donations from Springwood Baptist and Lithia Baptist Church = $8,555.00+ and in-kind donations = $2,000+
- One shower repaired and one installed
- Chimney insert installed
- Ramp built
- Floor removed, new door installed, windows replaced, carpet laid, floor & roof repaired, rooms painted, rewiring of entire home, plumbing, installation of cabinets, ceiling fan, air conditioner, etc.
- Weatherization to 4 senior homes
9. Gave $60 shoe vouchers each to 5 needy seniors Total = $200.00 in partnership with Super Shoe funded by the FFRV Belonging Initiative Grant.
10. Facilitated Basic Needs Assistance to Seniors through bill assistance, home supplies, recreation, medical assistance, home repair, etc. with $16,000 + from FFRV Belonging Grant funds
11. Raised and Facilitated $35,500+, in needy individuals and families in Botetourt County (not including the value of distributing free wood, food, household supplies, clothing, appliances, school supplies, etc.)
*** During this 2011-2012 fiscal year, the BRC case managed 147 households in Botetourt County and answered 2,000+ requests for assistance as information, advocacy, referral and services.
*** The BRC must raise all expenses for the total budget and programs through county, private and public donations, grants and fundraisers. The BRC is under the nonprofit umbrella of the Council of Community Services and receives in-kind services from the Council as well as from the Town of Buchanan and the Town of Troutville. If interested in making a donation, please send to PO Box 153, Buchanan, VA 24066.