Contact Program Director
540.985.0131, Ext. 502
Learn About RSVP
Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) is one of the largest volunteer networks in the nation for people 55 and over. You can use the skills and talents you’ve learned over the years, or develop new ones while serving in a variety of volunteer activities within your community.
The program is open to all U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent resident aliens, 55 years of age and over. Volunteers receive pre-service orientation, training from the organization where they will serve, and supplemental insurance while on duty. RSVP volunteers do not receive monetary incentives.
Identify volunteer opportunities for older adults
- Involve senior volunteers in planning and decision-making in programs, on community boards and committees
- Increase public awareness concerning contributions and needs of older adults
- Improve the image of aging
- Provide opportunities for intergenerational projects and activities
- Offer senior volunteers the opportunity to make a positive impact in their communities
Learn more at the RSVP website http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/senior-corps/rsvp.
Be a Volunteer
Roanoke Valley RSVP depends on individuals like you to give of themselves to help others within their communities. This gift of time and commitment is priceless.
Through RSVP, you will have the opportunities to share your life skills and experience to help improve the lives of your neighbors. Additionally, benefits include:
- Free supplemental accident and liability insurance coverage while on a RSVP assignment
- Improved physical and emotional health – studies reveal that people who volunteer are less likely to become ill and more likely to maintain a more positive outlook on life, due to a heightened sense of productivity, value and self-worth
- The opportunity to have fun, meet people and make friends – all while making a difference in the lives of others
- The sharing your expertise of a lifetime or doing something you always wanted to do, but never had time
- Membership in a national volunteer program – your activities are included in statistical reports distributed throughout the nation
When donating your time, you are not only helping someone who is in need, but you are also helping yourself. You will be discovering a whole new world of possibilities as you volunteer with Roanoke Valley RSVP. You’ve learned a lot in 55+ years, don’t keep it to yourself!
View Current Volunteer Opportunities
Meals on Wheels – Volunteers deliver a hot, nutritious lunch and safety check Monday through Friday to homebound senior citizens. http://www.loaa.org/meals-on-wheels/
CERT – The Roanoke Valley’s Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT) are groups of community-based volunteers trained in disaster preparedness and emergency response. http://www.councilofcommunityservices.com/programs/roanoke-valley-cert/
Additional volunteer opportunities can be found at www.handsonblueridge.org.
RSVP Forms and Information
Learn About RSVP and Volunteering (pdf handouts)
Health Benefits of Volunteering for Older Americans
Preparing Communities, Responding to Disasters
Senior Corp Fact Sheet
Retired and Senior Volunteer Program
RSVP Forms (pdf forms)
Volunteer Enrollment Update
Volunteer Service Record
RSVP is part of the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) and is sponsored by the Council of Community Services (CCS). RSVP is funded by CNCS, CSS, individuals, foundations, and government agencies.